Wednesday, April 29, 2009

The NY Times’ Gail Collins and David Brooks on the Specter Earthquake

Note to Katalusis readers: Hi all, I’m sorry I haven’t posted for awhile as I’ve been busy working on a couple of freelance writing projects and meeting a few other obligations.

It’s always entertaining and informative to read the dialog between The NY Times’ Gail Collins and David Brooks on current political issues. Today, Collins and Brooks discussed Arlen Specter’s switch from the Republican Party to the Democratic Party. Brooks is no doubt suffering from this latest blow to his party, but he reveals his take on the situation with a sense of humor:

Here are a couple of excerpts:

David Brooks: In the meantime, I do have to salute Specter’s deft ability to survive. I thought he was cooked. He would have lost the G.O.P. primary. I’ve been told he no longer has the physical stamina to run two tough campaigns — primary and general. I figured he couldn’t get the Democratic nomination, because Democrats do after all prefer to vote for Democrats. And it’s tough to run as an Independent.

And yet the odds are that now he’ll keep his job. He did it by winning over the Obama administration, and, I presume getting Gov. Ed Rendell to clear the field for him. What a savvy dude!

Gail Collins: David, if the question is whether the Democrats are happy because: A.) They have the potential 60th Senate vote or B.) They’re looking forward to the opportunity to spend more quality lunch time with Arlen Specter, I think we can all agree with your assessment.

And you sound so sad and discouraged that I don’t have the heart to wallow in this latest Republican disaster.

To read the Conversation in its entirety, go here.

No comments:

Post a Comment