Tuesday, March 5, 2013

It’s official: 15 more days until spring!

St. Paul Conservatory, courtesy of uniquelyminnesota.com.

Here it is March 5, and the Twin Cities got four inches of snow last night. The roof of the apartment building across the way is heavy laden with white stuff, and it’s still coming down. Well, it had to happen. Wouldn’t have been March- without a couple of big snowstorms.

Locals knew what was coming even though last Saturday morning dawned bright and sunny with blue skies. Many of us headed to the St. Paul Conservatory to catch a preview of summer. Strolling around the various rooms and breathing in the warm, moist air while examining a variety of trees and other plants, and celebrating the gorgeous colors of the flowers on display brought smiles to the faces of adults and children.

My smile may have been more radiant than others and with good reason. Due to a fluke in my knee replacement surgery on Nov. 6 that necessitated a second surgery on Dec. 15, I’ve been confined to an ugly leg brace and a wheelchair for the winter. I haven’t gotten out much for the past several months except for occasional medical appointments. My son and his wife took me to the Conservatory the other day and wheeled me around the displays.

My next doctor’s appointment is scheduled for Monday, March 9 when I hope  to lose the brace and the wheel chair. My physical therapist is poised to help me with strengthening exercises, etc.

And yes, I’m looking forward to the start of spring on Wednesday, March 20. Hey, that’s only 15 days from now!

No comments:

Post a Comment