Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Preparing for Another Arctic Blast

Dear Katalusis readers,

It's 9:00 A.M. on Tuesday, January 22, 2019, and I've just checked out today's weather forecast for Saint Paul, Minn. The current temperature is 15 degrees Fahrenheit. The National Weather Service warns of 3 to 5 inches of snow with 20-25 miles per hour winds, “which could cause some blowing and drifting snow as well.”

The report also mentioned the advent of an Arctic blast later on in the week. A native of Ohio, a state that boasts a more moderate climate, I've been a resident of Minn. for many years; however, I've still not fully adapted to predictions for “Arctic blasts.” And I've learned from experience not to tempt fate by hitting the roads in bad weather.

After reviewing the latest forecast and still in my long flannel nightgown, I ventured forth to the kitchen and checked out my supplies; three loaves of bread and lots of peanut butter and jelly, the makings for Sloppy Joes, several frozen dinners, sandwiches, etc., plus a dozen oranges and some cubed muskmelon. I'll survive for a few days, I concluded.

My physical well being assured during this latest winter advisory in Minnesota, I noted that I had on hand a couple of volumes of Reader's Digest's Select Editions that I grabbed from my apartment building's library; Select Editions offers some good stories, welcome relief for us reader types, when illness or bad weather prevents us from getting to the neighborhood library or the local bookstore.

Assured of enough food and reading material for the week, I can now relax and appreciate the fact that I've got a darned good excuse to stay home and indulge my appetite for Sloppy Joes and reading for entertainment, not self improvement - intellectually or otherwise - as is often my habit.



No comments:

Post a Comment