It’s a miracle they survived at all, but the above YouTube post assures us the three young Ohio women who recently escaped from their brutal kidnapper will be able to rebuild their lives.
The Chicago Tribune reports:
The video was filmed last week in the offices of the law firm managing a trust fund established for the three women, who took turns in separate appearances before the camera to express gratitude for donations to the fund and for a chance to rebuild their lives.
Organizers said the Cleveland Courage Fund has grown to more than $1 million as of July 2, with over 9,200 individuals making contributions.
The 3½-minute long video marked the first sustained glimpse of all three women - Amanda Berry, 27, Gina DeJesus, 23, and Michelle Knight, 32 - since they were rescued on May 6.
Ariel Castro, fired last fall from his job as a Cleveland school bus driver, has been charged with kidnapping the three victims between 2002 and 2004 and brutalizing them while holding them captive in his house over the next 10 years.
Officials said the three women were kept bound for periods of time in chains or rope and that they endured starvation, beatings and sexual assaults. One of them, Knight, was said to have suffered several miscarriages deliberately induced by her captor, for which Castro has been charged with murder.