Sunday, November 8, 2015

Not so fond memories from the Bush era




From the NY Times: George H. W. Bush fishing with George W. and Jeb,in 1998. 
  Credit George Bush Presidential Library, via Reuters.
I don't often link to a column by Maureen Dowd - her acid tongue usually attacks responsible political leaders as often as it does those like the two sons of H.W. Bush; you know who I mean: George W. and Jeb. So it is that I'm linking this  morning to Modo's entertaining NY Times piece, Poppy Bush finally gives Junior a spanking. Go ahead and read it; there are some worthy insights into the Bush era, especially the war-crazy neocon influence:

WESTEROS — I VISITED HBO’s “Game of Thrones” set in Belfast last week, and after watching Daenerys Targaryen in firelight for a couple hours, I learned how to say “I have to go to the bathroom” in Dothraki.

I’ll never be fluent in that martial language. But I am fluent in mangled Bush-speak.
So I must pull myself away from the Iron Throne and return to the Iron Ass, trading one serpentine family tangle for another. I am here, my puzzled readers, to help interpret the latest Oedipal somersaults of our royally messed up Republican royal family.

Like many uptight, upper-class families, the Bushes seem oddly unable to directly confront tensions and resentments and talk to each other candidly. With other families, the unsaid and circuitous end up rupturing relationships. In the case of the Bushes, it ended up rupturing the globe.




Like Queen Cersei, old King George knows that revenge is a dish that doesn’t lose its flavor when served cold. After more than a decade of publicly keeping his lips zipped, Poppy Bush took his full measure of payback in Jon Meacham’s new biography, “Destiny and Power: The American Odyssey of George Herbert Walker Bush.”

While W. used to say that what he liked about Dick Cheney and Donald Rumsfeld was their brass appendages, Poppy offered a dimmer anatomical appraisal, calling each an “iron-ass.”

Read More:



No comments:

Post a Comment