Friday, October 19, 2007

Women Voters in 2008

I've been fighting a cold for a couple of days, so I'm a little behind in my blogging. But I did want to comment on Eugene Robinson's column in today's Washington Post.

I agree with Robinson that Clinton is garnering some support from women simply because she has a good chance of becoming our first female president. But I don't think anyone would consider voting for her unless they recognized that she's qualified for the job.

I notice also that Robinson doesn't mention the flipside - the likelihood that a certain percentage of voters will not vote for Clinton because she's a woman.

It's too bad that our nation is so backward in matters of gender equality that it has to be such a big issue in this campaign.

Personally, I can't help marveling at Clinton's strength and courage every time I see a photo of her standing on stage alongside the opposition - seven stalwart males uniformly outfitted in their suits and ties.

Whoa! Judith Warner's Domestic Disturbances, talks about The Clinton Surprise, in today's New York Times. Warner also makes some good points in her reading of Hillary Clinton's frontrunner status in the presidential campaign. Check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment