Sunday, May 22, 2011

Tornadoes roar through Twin Cities

After the storm (photo by  VB)

Strange. The day turned dark awhile ago before the storm broke. After the rain ceased, and the sky began to clear, I decided to do a little shopping in Woodbury, a nearby St. Paul suburb. Out on the freeway, I thought of going for a drive to the northern metro where I once lived for more than 20 years and for sentimental reasons, do my shopping there.

In the next few minutes, though, another downpour changed my mind, and I pulled into the Target parking lot in Woodbury and was able to get everything I needed at this local big box.

On the way home, I tuned my car radio to Minnesota Classical and was surprised to hear a tornado warning for the northern Twin Cities and suburbs – residents were instructed to take shelter immediately.

I’m glad I shopped in my own neighborhood this afternoon. The Minneapolis StarTribune reports tornado touchdowns in the northern metro with severe damage:

A huge storm system featuring at least three tornado touchdowns moved in a northeastern path across the Twin Cities metro area Sunday afternoon, causing a long path of damage, especially in north Minneapolis and nearby areas.

Minneapolis Mayor R.T. Rybak asked people to stay away from north Minneapolis so emergency vehicles and residents could respond to extensive damage to homes and buildings. Toppled trees blocked many streets.

Power was out to 22,000 Xcel Energy customers across the metro area.


2 comments:

  1. Been trying to get word about your area and the tornado - I will assume since you made another post after this all is okay with you? You are in my thoughts lady.

    The devastation is horrendous and human spirit is just crushed after these terrible storms. Thank goodness for the wonderful American citizens we have who volunteer and help their neighbors.

    Regards,

    Boo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Boo,

    So good to see you here. The severe weather stayed north of my neighborhood in St. Paul, but we did get some heavy rain that day.

    ReplyDelete