Thursday, June 9, 2011

What’s next from the FDA – arsenic in the chicken?

Say what?!! There’s arsenic in my chicken feed?!!

If my writing is a little erratic this morning you’ll have to forgive me. They’re testing the fire alarm system in my apartment building today between 9 a.m. and 2 p.m. and after posting this, I plan to take a book to read and escape to the nearest coffee shop. 

(Unfortunately, I don’t own a laptop or an ipad.)

Even though the loud incessant screeches are driving me crazy, I promise you this is the truth: in your avoidance of red meat that wholesome cut up frying chicken you’ve been buying at your local supermarket might contain arsenic.  

The LA Times has the story:

Arsenic, chicken feed and the FDA are three terms not normally seen together in health articles. Here’s how such an alignment can happen… An arsenic-containing drug used in chicken feed will no longer be sold in the U.S. after FDA researchers detected a more dangerous form of arsenic in chickens fed the chemical.

The agency announced Wednesday that Pfizer subsidiary Alpharma will discontinue U.S. sales of 3-Nitro, a drug fed to chickens to help them gain weight and to prevent an intestinal disease called coccidiosis. Chickens that had been given the drug, which contains organic arsenic, had higher levels of what’s known as inorganic arsenic in their livers, compared with chickens not given the drug. 



No comments:

Post a Comment