Monday, June 20, 2011

And another fervent Obama supporter bites the dust


It’s sad, in a way, reading Janet Rhodes’ Sunday post at FireDogLake in which she describes her disenchantment with President Obama. 

Perhaps I would feel more sympathy for Rhodes if I had not watched in stunned disbelief as my ultraliberal church fellowship was transformed in the 08 Democratic primary to an Obama campaign site.

Or if I had not experienced personal rejection by two former close friends in the Democratic Party for my support of Hillary Clinton, one who repeatedly referred to her as a “bitch” and the other who accused her of wishing Obama dead.

In recent months, liberal pundits in the mainstream media have fallen like autumn leaves from the One’s entourage, and those left-wing storm troopers in the blogosphere are now pausing to consider what their over the top dedication to the handsome, cool, charismatic self-described walking Rorschach test has wrought for their country.

If I had not been so burned in 08 I would better appreciate the poignant theme of betrayal in Rhodes' post, but as it is, I can only shake my head in wonderment at the naiveté of so many like her who flocked to the polls in droves to vote style over substance in the Democratic primary. (You should’ve listened when Hillary warned you that the presidency is not a suitable position for on the job training.)

But read for yourself Rhodes' plaintive words:

Imagine how thrilled I was when I opened my email and discovered a dinner invitation from President Obama, except, of course, it was actually an invitation to buy a raffle ticket. For a mere $5, the grand prize was an evening with Barack Obama (and those guys worried about Anthony Weiner compromising the dignity of the Democratic party).


No doubt, you’ve also received your “invitation” and are familiar with the smarmy wording of it. Still, despite the sweepstakes entry cheesiness of it, I’ve been mulling it over–imagining what I would say if I had dinner with President Obama.


I would begin by thanking him for his kind offer to bring my story and my ideas with me to the White House. But then I would say, Mr. President, there are two parts to my story. The first part, you want to hear; the second part, you really don’t. But that is the part I’m determined to tell you.


Let’s dispense with the first part quickly. It is the boring and all-too-familiar story, the type politicians collect so they can use it on the campaign trail. In a nutshell, here is the demographic info so you may check off lots of boxes on your forms: moderate income, college educated, married, over 50, lost health insurance, underwater mortgage, husband graduating college this summer (job market and economy super-important right now), daughter of factory worker and public employee, granddaughter of Catholic immigrants, voted Democratic in every election since the age of 18, raised in small town Wisconsin, now living in California.

Rhodes continues with a litany of those many occasions since his inauguration when the president she helped elect has been absent from the table on key policy issues:

Some noticed you had left the table as soon as you said you would not investigate the Bush/Cheney administration for torture or war crimes. Others noticed when the stimulus was half the size recommended by progressive economists.


And me? I noticed your place at the table was empty during health care reform when Joe Lieberman and Blanche Lincoln were allowed to kill the public option with no response from you. As I said, my husband and I lost our health insurance. The system did exactly what it is designed to do: accept your premiums on time every month beginning in your twenties. And then after 25 to 30 years of supporting the private health insurance system, after you cross the Big Five Zero, they jack the premiums up so sky high you cannot afford them on anything less than a six-figure income. Oh yes, it is wonderful that come 2014, no insurer will be allowed to turn away anyone for a pre-existing condition. But I anticipate the premiums will remain sky high and health care will remain out of our reach. There is no public option to provide affordable insurance for people like us.


Since then, I have noticed repeatedly that your place at the table is empty. In December, you caved in to the Republicans on not taxing the rich. You decided to cut “waste” by halving home heating subsidies for the elderly poor. And, of course, why bother honoring your promise to stand with workers who are being denied their collective bargaining rights? Your place on the picket line in Madison and on the podium remained empty too.




1 comment:

  1. Oh, how sad. For the nation, that is.

    Not for Rhodes. She has gotten just what she deserves. And, I dare say, she will continue to get what she deserves.

    Boohoo, Janet. Cry me a river.

    ReplyDelete