Monday, November 19, 2007

Celebrating Kinship and Community

“But your kind discovered long ago that the way for one generation to hand itself off to the next is the way each year does it - starting with the word thanksgiving.” James Carroll

Comments from my readers are important to me. My thanks to Deborah for the thoughtful comment she left yesterday in response to my post on satisfying our spiritual hunger in which I referred to Thomas Moore’s Care of the Soul. Debra wrote:

“Hi Virginia,
Based on your recent posts and your sensitive writing, I think you may enjoy a blog dedicated to Thomas Moore's work called Barque: Thomas Moore at http://barque.blogspot.com . It links to a free forum that could benefit from your insights and expression. Please continue to share your soulful observations.
Happy Thanksgiving,
Deborah”

I’ve checked out the blog Deborah suggested and followed up its link to Moore’s personal web site, appropriately named http://careofthesoul.net/.

In tune with the onset of the holidays, my favorite op-ed columnist, the Boston Globe’s James Carroll, also touched on spirituality in today’s column. Carroll concludes:

All of this could revolve around less fraught themes than light and dark, beginning and end, the crack in the stone of time. But your kind discovered long ago that the way for one generation to hand itself off to the next is the way each year does it - starting with the word thanksgiving.

And that reminds me, I’m free now to turn my attention to preparing for Thanksgiving; and I’m more keenly aware than ever this time around that much of the pleasure of the holiday season is in each of those preparations repeated year after year, no matter how mundane they seem: cleaning, arranging the flowers, last-minute grocery shopping, baking, chopping the rutabaga, and making the stuffing.

As a friend mentioned after church yesterday, with all of the changes going on around us from one day to the next, a little repetition and continuity in our lives helps.

Peace,

Virginia

No comments:

Post a Comment