Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Giffords opened her eyes


Nancy Pelosi was in the room when Giffords opened her eyes.( Pelosi's photo is in the public domain.)
President Obama’s speech in AZ this evening was very powerful and moving. In my opinion, he hit just the right note to de-escalate the finger pointing and partisan blaming. And in our hearts, we all had to cheer when, with permission of Mark Kelly, Gabrielle Giffords’ husband, Obama announced that Gabrielle had opened her eyes for the first time since she was shot.

Politico reports that friends of Giffords, including Nancy Pelosi, Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand, and Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz were in the room when she opened her eyes.

4 comments:

  1. Barack Obama has always been a good speech giver. He apparently started practicing when he was 10 years old.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rev. Virginia! It is nice to have found you again. Glad to see you actively blogging. Re-adding you to my blogroll. I hope you are well!

    As a former nurse with many years of ICU work under my belt... I find this story to be kinda trumped up. Because we have been hearing that Rep. Giffords opened her eyes early after the injury. And that she was responding to some basic commands all along. (Surprising, I must admit.)

    But, at any rate... I'm glad to have you back and to read your perspective again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi SYD,

    I'm pleased to connect with you again. I saw Wasserman Shultz and Gillibrand on the Early Show this morning, and their comments brought tears to my eyes. So nice to see prominent women who are obviously close friends instead of being portrayed as hyper-competitive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Alessandro,

    I've never been that impressed with Obama's skill as an orator, but I thought the tone he used and the words he spoke in this one effectively addressed the name calling and blaming.

    ReplyDelete