Thursday, January 8, 2015

"Baby, It's Cold Outside"

So far this winter only severe temps, unlike the deep snow of last Feb.
The congenial delivery man assured me that I wasn't the only one who refused to go outside in this latest Arctic blast here in the Twin Cities. Unloading my groceries, he said, "We've really been busy lately."

I thanked him and his co-workers for braving below zero temps so I wouldn't have to. And I've been congratulating myself since then for having the wisdom to order my foodstuffs and other necessities online. (Keep in mind that I have a steel plate in my leg that rebels against Arctic weather.)

From Paul Douglas, my favorite meteorologist, these words of encouragement:

Hold on, models continue to show a thaw by the end of next week. Today's clipper drops a slippery inch of powder, followed by one last subzero slap - for now. 2 more subzero nights, then a slow recovery next week. You'll be amazed and vaguely horrified by just how good freezing feels.
Go ahead and take a bow. You're surviving the coldest week of winter.

Okay, then.

In the meantime, sitting here at my computer in my warm apartment, I agree with AP writer, Dave Collins, we're dealing with "dangerously cold air." Collins reports the effects of severe weather across the nation:

Dangerously cold air has sent temperatures plummeting into the single digits around the U.S., with wind chills driving them even lower. Throw in the snow some areas are getting and you've got a bone chilling mix that may also be super messy.

The result?

School delays and cancellations, a fatal car pileup and worries about the homeless.
Here's a look at what's happening:
___
A PILEUP IN WHITEOUT CONDITIONS
An 18-vehicle pileup that happened in whiteout conditions on a western Pennsylvania interstate has left two people dead and nearly two dozen injured.

Nine trucks, several of them tractor-trailers, and nine cars were involved in the crash Wednesday afternoon on Interstate 80 in Clarion Township, state police said. At least one of the trucks was carrying hazardous material, but no leaks were found.

None of the injuries was thought to be life-threatening, but three of the approximately 20 people taken to the hospital, appeared to have serious injuries. The others were treated for everything from bumps to broken bones.
___
DELAYING AND CANCELING SCHOOL
School districts from the South to the Northeast and Midwest are delaying the start of classes or canceling school altogether.

Read more:


No comments:

Post a Comment