Thursday, July 30, 2020

Acts of Kindness

George Floyd, a 46-year-old, black American man died when a police office held his knee on Floyd's neck for about eight minutes. A bystander took a video of the murder of  this man whose only crime was allegedly passing a counterfeit $20.00 bill. The video of Floyd's violent death was repeatedly shown to TV viewers around the globe. Considering the violence on the news and other programming, I can understand why many of my neighbors and acquaintances have become a bit cynical since the advent of TV. Imagine how viewing such scenes as Floyd's brutal death for hours every day might influence one's perspective on life.

I beg to differ from the too prevalent cynicism that I witness in my daily life. I'm an older woman, and I actually enjoy going out to do my errands now and then instead of fearing that I might be assaulted and robbed. On one occasion, I decided to take a break, and I pulled into the parking lot at a Starbucks coffee shop. Just as I started to get out of my car, a young man ran over and said, "I see you're using a cane. I'm going to help you get to the door."

I'm in pretty good shape, considering my age, and I didn't really need the young man's assistance;  however, I politely accepted his arm. By the time we reached the double doors at Starbucks, two women were holding them open for us. As the young man and I passed the lineup at the cash register, a woman stopped us and said to the man, "I saw you help her, and I'm going to pay for your order."

I went ahead and found a table where I waited for my new friend. He was smiling when he got there.  "Hey," he said, "That lady really did pay for our order!" The young man introduced himself and explained that he was meeting his wife there in a few minutes. After finishing my coffee, I assured him that with the help of my cane, I could safely make it back to my car.

After a few experiences like the above - and I've enjoyed more than a few - it would be hard for me to lose faith in humanity.

I might add that for as long as I can remember, whenever I've witnessed and act of kindness, I've believed it was evidence of God's presence.

No comments:

Post a Comment