Saturday, March 15, 2008

Boycotting Hillary-Bashing Left-Wing Blogs

Photo Credits: Getty Images

Alegre’s post at Taylor Marsh announcing her decision to launch her own writer’s strike at Daily Kos caught my attention this morning. I don’t often check in at DailyKos, so it will be easy for me to join Alegre in boycotting that online community. But as I read the details of Alegre’s complaint regarding the sexist, misogynist attacks on Hillary Clinton by rabid Obamaphiles at DailyKos, I was reminded that similar conditions exist at the HuffingtonPost, Obama’s flagrant online mouthpiece, equally well known for its Hillary-bashing.

Was anyone surprised that Obama elected to release his statement to the HuffingtonPost on Friday regarding his pastor, Jeremiah Wright’s hate speech; or that HuffPo responded by giving Obama a banner headline with a ridiculously pious photo of this so-called harbinger of “the new politics” who frequently boasts of his good judgment?

In the past several days, the media overall have predictably continued to trash Geraldine Ferraro for her remarks that were arguably a mere statement of the facts (read Earl Ofari Hutchinson’s defense of Ferraro here).

But back to Alegra, she states her case at the beginning of her post at Taylor Marsh:

“I’ve been posting at DailyKos for nearly 4 years now and started writing diaries in support of Hillary Clinton back in June of last year. Over the past few months I’ve noticed that things have become progressively more abusive toward my candidate and her supporters.”

She continues:

“I’ve put up with the abuse and anger because I’ve always believed in what our on-line community has tried to accomplish in this world. No more. DailyKos is not the site it once was thanks to the abusive nature of certain members of our community.

“Instead, I will put my energy into posting at sites where my efforts aren’t routinely trashed, spammed and ridiculed by a handful of angry, petty and spiteful folks who clearly have too much time on their hands.”

Alegre includes MYDD and TalkLeft among left-wing sites who fight fair, and she concludes with an invitation to join her in a new labor union:

"The double standards, the distortions, the hateful, irrational, personal attacks, and the lies about Hillary and her long and distinguished record of public service stop here – and they stop now.

"So I hereby announce the formation of a new labor union...

"The American Federation of Concerned Bloggers (AFCB).

"This is a writer’s strike - who’ll join me on the picket line?

"By the way...

"Are you current on your union dues?

"Pony-up folks."


To read Alegre’s post in its entirety, go here.

No comments:

Post a Comment