Saturday, March 1, 2008

Ohio Congresswoman Affirms Her Support for Clinton


Photo credits: Kent.edu

Despite pressure in the run-up to Tuesday’s primary, Ohio congresswoman Stephanie Tubbs Jones has affirmed her support for Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton:

In yesterday’s edition of theRoots.com, Jones declares:

“Many people do not understand what it means to truly support a candidate. It is more than a bumper sticker, or a yard sign, or even attending a campaign event. By supporting a candidate, you are making a commitment to that candidate. I made that commitment to Hillary to support her through thick and thin, not to be a fair-weather friend only to leave her when the going gets tough.

“I have spent over 26 years in public office working for the people of Ohio and working within the Democratic Party. I have gone door-to-door handing out pamphlets for candidates, stayed up late making phone calls and raising money for candidates - including Barack Obama's Senate campaign through the Congressional Black Caucus PAC. After 26 years in public office, I would hope that my constituents would respect my judgment and my choice to support Hillary Rodham Clinton, just as I respect their decision to support the candidate of their choice.

Jones, who represents Ohio’s 11 Congressional District, which includes Cleveland, concluded her remarks with these strong words:

“In politics all you have is your word. And I have never been one to fold when the cards are not being played in my favor. True integrity is measured when the times get tough. There is no doubt that Hillary's campaign is facing tough times, but I made a commitment to her, and I will support her all the way.”

To read Jones’ entire statement in theRoots.com, go here.

1 comment:

  1. thanks for posting this. i wish more people thought this way. i have found it very dismaying that a number of clinton supporters have jumped ship because it has looked like they would lose and they want to be near power. ohio is lucky to have congresswoman Stephanie Tubbs Jones.

    ReplyDelete