Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Obama’s Prime Time Speech on Health Care Reform

After watching Obama’s speech and the Republican response on public television this evening, I can’t say that I heard anything new. I will say, though, that for the sake of those who are suffering from serious illnesses, I hope any bill that is passed will at least contain the several reforms the president mentioned, e.g., banning the refusal of coverage due to pre-existing conditions.


Jeff Zeleny in the NY Times included in his report:


“As soon as I sign this bill, it will be against the law for insurance companies to drop your coverage when you get sick or water it down when you need it most,” Mr. Obama said. “They will no longer be able to place some arbitrary cap on the amount of coverage you can receive in a given year or a lifetime.”

Read more:


Footnote: As officials filed in ahead of the president this evening, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton appeared to be among the most popular. The camera continued to follow her for some time as she made the rounds receiving warm greetings from her many friends.



1 comment:

  1. the most interesting tidbit for me ~ Michelle Obama was actually holding Victoria Kennedy's hand???

    didn't watch the speech, am still unsure of how I feel about all of it. I hope we get some reform, and I think if Obama would have presented his own plan to congress from the start, perhaps I would not have the amount of skepticism that I currently have about this mess.

    ReplyDelete