Saturday, July 12, 2014

The complementarity of social justice and mindfulness meditation


Chaos in Iraq, June 11, 2014.
Amanda Mills: public domain.
Say, friends, you may have noticed the variety of posts at Katalusis that rank as the 10 most popular - current topics include housekeeping mindfully, animal rights (see Raju the elephant), sex trafficking, racism, the Dalai Lama, and the Charter for Compassion.
The diversity in my subject matter at Katalusis notwithstanding, I’ve been following the daily news since childhood when an older brother was pulling combat duty during the Korean War. My father listened to the news on the hour whenever he was home from work, and I picked up the habit. Meanwhile, I developed a strong commitment to social justice.


Lately, listening to Diane Sawyer’s World News (ABC) program at 5:30 p.m. weekdays and scanning emails from politicos begging for money while trashing their opponents in 2014 might be depressing if I lacked the resources to stay centered most days and thereby respond more effectively- hey, Iraq is falling apart, and the Israelis and Palestinians continue to kill one another off.

Which is why I practice mindfulness meditation, keep a literary type novel on hand for downtime instead of TV, work out regularly, journal daily, and hangout with upbeat people whenever possible – I especially enjoy keeping company with my meditation group.

A little reminder here: the daily practice of spiritual disciplines is not antithetical to taking a stand for social justice on behalf of marginalized people, which includes women, who represent 51 percent of America’s population.

Don’t take my word for it – search the database here at Katalusis. You might start with the topic of drones.

No comments:

Post a Comment