Thursday, July 10, 2014

Household chores can be fun!


Hi friends, after some intense writing lately, I resumed my regular routine this morning, and it felt great to meditate, work out, journal, and well, yes, read the online comics, I especially enjoy Sally Forth:)

Got back to work then and using free-writing I drafted an intro and an epilogue for my memoir. In the process, I got excited about the possibilities for these two additions to my manuscript. Before re-writing, though, I need a time out for essential household chores, e.g., paying bills and grocery shopping. Peanut butter and jelly toast is only okay for a couple of days.

Speaking of household chores, Lori Deschene at Tiny Buddha, recently posted "Mindfulness in Everyday Tasks: 5 Ways Chores Can Make You Happier." It's a fun read while encouraging us to approach even the most humble chores mindfully. Enjoy!

(Heads up to members of my mindfulness group, this could be our reading for July 19th.)


“Smile, breathe and go slowly.” ~Thich Nhat Hanh

Last night I did something I rarely do. Drum roll please……last night I cooked.

Okay, to be fair, I more prepped than cooked. But my willingness to participate in this domestic ritual with my boyfriend at the helm was certainly not the norm. Neurotic as I may be with organizing and cleaning, cooking has never been my thing.

For starters, I’m cheap with food. I’d rather spend money on books and pedicures than saffron and truffles. I realize I could channel my inner Rachael Ray and learn to make budget-friendly meals, but an even easier approach is to make full use of my Subway rewards card.

It’s not just my aversion to spending on consumables that attracts me to cheap take-out and cereal. It’s also a matter of priorities.

I look at the day as blocks of time—much like Hugh Grant in About a Boy. Left to my own devices, I fill those blocks with tried-and-tested activities, like writing, reading, watching movies, and practicing yoga. Suffice it to say, cooking isn’t on my list.

I know I enjoy my world better when I make little changes to my routine—when I take alternative routes to familiar places or make spontaneous plans with old friends, for example. But sometimes I need reminders to do things differently.

Tonight’s reminder brought me to the cutting board, and I must admit I enjoyed it far more than I would have imagined.



Read more:

No comments:

Post a Comment