Friday, April 18, 2008

Is Obama’s Use of His Middle Finger Presidential?

Photo credit: AP

The first time I saw the video in question, I was struck by the intensity of Barack Obama’s anger as he spoke of the Philadelphia debate. I watched the debate the other day and as I noted in an earlier post, I was pleased to see him get a few tough questions for a change.

I know I’m not alone in my judgment that the video clearly shows Barack Obama crossing the line in his evident contempt for Hillary Clinton, a sitting United States Senator and former first lady. Bonnie Erbe at U.S. News & World Report, who titled her remarks, “Obama’s Wayward Finger,” raises the appropriate questions.

“This is one of those ‘video moments’, Erbe began, “on which I cannot take a position but also cannot let pass unnoticed. Dear reader, please go to the two following websites and decide for yourself. Is Sen. Barack Obama using his middle finger, while talking about Sen. Hillary Clinton, on purpose— or was it an accident?”

Erbe concludes:

“If Obama did this on purpose, it's a sign of incredible immaturity. If he did it by accident, it's a sign of inexperience. If a president were to make an accidental gesture like that while talking about a foreign leader, for example, it could cause a global uproar.”

There you have it: whether Obama did it on purpose or by accident, we should all be even more concerned about his readiness to assume the presidency of the United States.



No comments:

Post a Comment