Monday, September 29, 2008

How a Long-time Feminist Can Support the McCain-Palin Ticket

I’m not sure how I missed this post by Dr. Lynette Long at her blog on Sept. 8, but I’m pleased to link to The X Factor today in which Dr. Long, a psychologist and well-known feminist, explains why she has decided to support the McCain-Palin ticket. Following The X Factor, I’ve included a link to Dr. Long’s update a couple of days ago to her original post.

Dr. Long writes:

“I have given my loyalty to the Democratic Party for decades. My party, which is comprised primarily of women, has not put a woman on a presidential ticket for 24 years. My party refused to nominate my candidate, Hillary Clinton, for president or vice president, even though she received more votes than any other candidate in history. My party stood silently by as Hillary Clinton was eviscerated by the mainstream media. My party was mute while the main stream media repeatedly called Clinton a bitch and symbolically called me and every other woman in this country a bitch. My party was disturbingly silent when the main stream media commented on Hillary’s body or the shrillness of her voice, reminding me and every other woman the fundamental disrespect we endure on a daily basis. My party’s candidate was mute when Rev. Jeremiah Wright and Father Pfleger openly mocked Senator Clinton from the pulpit of Trinity United Church of Christ. My party’s candidate was silent when the rapper Ludicrous released a new song calling Hillary a bitch. My party and its candidate gave their tacit approval for the attacks on Senator Hillary Clinton and consequently women in general.

“I have a choice. I can vote for my party and it’s candidates which have demonstrated a blatant disrespect for women and a fundamental lack of integrity or I can vote for the Republican ticket which has heard our concerns and put a woman on the ticket but with whom I fundamentally don’t agree on most issues. If Democratic women wait for the perfect woman to come along, we will never elect a woman. We have to seize opportunity where it presents itself. Besides, the Democratic Party is no longer my home. I have no home, but this election I will make my bed somewhere else.”

To read The X Factor in its entirety go here.

A couple of days ago on Sept. 27, Dr. Long posted an update to The X Factor, which she reports has gone viral. In defending her original post and her decision to support the McCain-Palin ticket, Dr. Long presents her credentials as a feminist:

“I have worked an entire lifetime to further feminist causes. My first professional job was teaching remedial high school math to girls. I started a web-based business called color Math Pink to promote math achievement for girls and I was selected by the American Girl company to write Mathsmarts, a math strategy book for girls. If I am anything, I am a feminist.

“I have researched sex-role stereotyping and gender issues and published dozens of articles in trade and professional journals including Working Mother, Essence, and Ms. If I am anything, I am a feminist.

“I have fought for the rights of women rights every single day of my life. I point out the dearth of photos of women in the New York Times to the lucky person who sits next to me on an airplane, the lack of pictures of women on money to the wait staff at a diner, and I have been in a decade-long fight with the United States Post Office to put more pictures of women on postage stamps. If I am anything, I am a feminist.

‘“I coined the term ‘latchkey children’ and defended the rights of women to work on national level. I have assisted numerous projects to improve the quality of childcare so that mothers could work and not worry about the safety of their children. If I am anything, I am a feminist.

“I am passionately pro-choice but I also think that it is not always a psychologically free choice. I have written a play which deals with the psychological complexities of abortion entitled, One in Two, which has been performed in New York, New Jersey, and Washington DC. If I am anything, I am a feminist.

“I have spent decades coaching women on how to achieve more power in their personal relationships and in the workplace. If I am anything, I am a feminist.”

Read Dr. Long’s update in its entirety here.

2 comments:

  1. hi virginia

    this lady doth protest too much.

    perhaps slightly over-simplifying, here's how interpret her logic: my "man" was maligned, so i'm going to take my marbles and go home -- and vote for mccain/palin? (my initial thought was, what if the opposition ticket was hitler/stalin? would that ticket get her vote, because hers didn't win. it just doesn't compute!)

    if she is such a great scholar, why isn't she also looking at the waves of racism thrown at obama.

    hillary ran a flawed campaign, considered herself the "inevitable candiate", and was guilty of as much dirty fighting as any of her opponents (writing in this little box eliminates the opportunity of looking for the smoking gun evidence to prove my claim, but it is there)

    sorry to be so cynical, but this logic just doesn't fly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Raymond,

    In the first place, there are reams of documentation showing that sexism has far exceeded racism in the 2008 campaign. Typically, however, the racist attacks have come from the right wing. Throughout the Democratic primary, the sexist assaults against Hillary Clinton came from both the left wing and the right wing. So-called liberal or progressives were as viciously sexist and misogynous as conservatives.

    One of the most disgraceful events of the primary, however, was the Obama campaign’s insidious smearing of both Bill and Hillary Clinton as racists, even though most of the world knows the Clintons have fought for equal rights for all people throughout their adult lives. Obama waited until the damage had been done before hanging his head during the Nevada debate and admitting, “The Clintons are not racists.”

    About Hillary’s campaign as compared to Obama’s: Obama has run an authoritarian, top-down campaign since day one; no arguments have been allowed, no leaks have been tolerated, etc. Hillary’s operation was much more diverse than Obama’s and egalitarian. As they say, a dictatorship is much more efficient than a democracy, but I still prefer a democracy. And by the way, even though the DNC and the media began pressuring Hillary to drop out immediately after Iowa, she still won a greater percentage of the popular vote than Obama. The DNC had to carry the limping Obama over the finish line and hand him the nomination.

    One more point: From day one, Hillary Clinton personally stated the race would be long and difficult; she took nothing for granted. The media perpetrated the myth of inevitability, not Clinton.

    ReplyDelete