Thursday, January 29, 2009

Time for a Laugh: Read “Obama on Thin Ice”

After ridiculing DC schools for closing for “some ice,” President and Mrs. Obama coincidentally visit their daughter Sasha’s school the next day. Photo credits: AP.



Jeanne McManus who retired from the Washington Post in 2005 has had it with out-of-towners picking on Washington, D.C., including President Obama. In today’s guest column, McManus responds to Obama’s ridiculing the city for closing its schools the other day due to some ice.


McManus writes:

I was born and raised in Washington, and though I live in Bethesda now, I still don't take too kindly to people breezing in from out of town and telling us how to run our lives. Maybe it's because I was vote-deprived for so long. Got that? Maybe it's because I thought it grossly unjust that some Republican congressman like Virginia's Joel T. Broyhill was empowered to tell Washingtonians what our priorities should be, as he opposed home rule for the District. (As you can see, I don't forget. It's kept me in a defensive crouch for a few decades.)


On an even smaller and meaner note, I will confess that when I was deputy sports editor at The Post from 1991 to 1999, I took with glee the phone calls from aggrieved and transplanted New Yorkers complaining that we didn't provide enough coverage of the New York Knicks or Giants. My former boss, George Solomon, will be pained to learn that I would elbow aside other editors to handle such a call, just so that I, in my chirpiest voice, could give the troubled subscriber my solution: "You want more about the Giants? Move back to New York. Bye-bye!"


So many out-of-towners who get stationed, transferred or elected to serve here feel entitled to waltz in and take shots at the way we dress (we wear too much black; women wear sneakers with dress suits), the way we drive (too aggressively and erratically) and, most recently, the way we respond to snow (we like to shut things down).

Read More:



2 comments:

  1. Well, ya know, for a family that is so "tough" from the Chicago cold. It sure is interesting how high they keep the White House thermostat set:

    http://uppitywoman08.wordpress.com/2009/01/30/65-degrees-for-thee-not-me/

    Now isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! SYD, thanks for that timely and appropriate link. I especially appreciated the Axelrod quote:

    “He’s from Hawaii, O.K.?” said Mr. Obama’s senior adviser, David Axelrod, who occupies the small but strategically located office next door to his boss. “He likes it warm. You could grow orchids in there.”

    ReplyDelete