Saturday, June 7, 2008

In Response to Hillary’s Campaign Finale

I just watched Hillary Clinton’s speech in Washington in which she thanked her supporters and endorsed Barack Obama. I was deeply moved and inspired by her words, but I’m still far too outraged by the blatant sexist and misogynist behavior I’ve witnessed repeatedly throughout the Democratic primary from both party leaders and the good old boys’ network in the media to match the magnanimity of Clinton's spirit.

In a recent CBS News poll, 45 percent of the respondents perceived the media had been harder on Clinton than on the other candidates; 67% said this was due to gender bias. The American people have seen what was going on; where have the Democratic party leaders been? Why didn’t Howard Dean speak out against the sexism and misogyny?

Until I am convinced the Democratic party will never again allow one of its own to be subjected to such utter disrespect simply because she happens to be a woman, I’m one lifelong Democrat who will hereafter register as an independent.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Virginia,

    Don't know if you check your comments much but I wanted to tell you that I feel exactly the way you do. I've already registered Independent and plan on sitting out the election in November (unless, of course, Hillary gets the nomination).

    Your blog has been one that I've come to over the last few months as a save haven as the misogyny and Hillary-hate became too much. Thank you for that.

    darrow

    ReplyDelete